BOOKS FOR TROOPS (BFT) was started in southern Saratoga County, New York, April 2010 by retired school teacher, Ellen Keegan who wanted to gather books to send to our troops serving in Afghanistan and Iraq, in order to give them a source of escape from the horrors they see each day, to offer release from loneliness, boredom, stress, homesickness, and fear, and to show them that they were not forgotten by those at home that they were sacrificing so much to keep free. Books for Troops also wanted the books to remind them of home and to give them the message of how grateful and proud we were of them. Their mission was expanded over the 3+ years in existence to include 18 VA hospitals across the US, the American Red Cross Wounded Warriors program, and the families of the troops, in particular the children.
BOOKS FOR TROOPS was founded to send "care packages for the mind" for the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq by providing a variety of books that help ease their fears, loneliness, boredom, stress and to allow them a temporary escape from the horrors that they see and live daily. It was also founded to raise awareness of the sacrifices, both big and small, that our troops are making to protect us and to remind them that they are not forgotten.
Books for Troops goal was to not have books be one of the sacrifices that the troops had to endure because we felt that books helped to:
1) alleviate boredom that the troops often mention as the biggest enemy of their off-duty time;
2) offer a means of escape from the horrors of a soldier’s daily experiences;
3) bring a sense of home to our soldiers;
4) make available a quiet time to reduce stress and relax;
5) create a time to forget;
6) provide a distraction or something less stressful to think about; and
7) remind our soldiers “you are not forgotten” by the people they are protecting.
8) provide the same for the injured troops in VA hospitals and facilities across the states.
9) help the deployed and injured connect with their children through the use of children's bookss
10) Offered "Medicine for the Mind" (library inscription on the library inThebes, Greece) where not just the body, but the mind was taken into account.
- Donate hard-covered, soft-covered, children's or puzzle & coloring books at one of our collection sites
- Have a book drive for books,
Offer to do a fund raiser.
Offer to work on a fund raiser.
Do simplepaperwork at home like writing thank you letters or making out forms
- If you have good computer skills and are familiar with using a website and Facebook, volunteer to help do ours.
Offer to do book mailings.
Adopt a box of books. Make a monetary donation to help pay the postage for our books. It costs $12.50 to "adopt-a-box."
YOU NEED NOT ALL OR ANY OF THESE SKILLS OR ABILITIES, Just one and a strong desire to help the troops. Hours are very flexible. You need work only a few hours a month. For more information, please contact Ellen at email@example.com
- “Adopt-a-Box-of-Books,” or in other words, pay the postage of $12.50 to mail a box of approximately 35 books. Mail check or money order, payable to Books For Troops, to 152
Contact Ellen for more information at 373-4939 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
(type “Books For Troops” in the subject line).
The troops are always in need of things to help them get through the long nights of nightwatch. Please donate
1) magazines less than a year old
2) DVD's or CD's that are recent with containers
3) puzzle books of all kinds
4) coloring books and crayons
5) handheld or small games
All of them help keep them alert.
Books in great condition-hard-covered, soft-covered
Funds for Postage.
Fundraising ideas or even better the willingness to do a fundraiser.
Strong people to do mailings or move boxes of books from one facility to another. We are in desperate need of strong people to work a couple flexible hours a month to help with heavy lifting. You will really be making a difference.